Documents You Need to Marry in Cuba

Documentation for Marriage in Cuba

Are you single, divorced, or widowed? What documents you need to provide to marry in Cuba depend upon your marital status. You do not need originals for this process, but rather certified true copies.

What Documents You Need if You’re Single (Never Married)

If you are single (never married) you will need both:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Affidavit of Single Status – this is not a Marriage Search Certificate

Birth Certificate

You will not need your original in Cuba, however you will need a certified true copy, so you will have to bring this with you when you go get your documents certified. If you were born outside of the United States, you will need to get your birth certificate certified by the country that produced it.

Affidavit of Single Status

This is not an official federal or state government document. You will have to get one from a notary or find a template online that suits your needs. We strongly recommend speaking to an expert in Cuban marriage before going to the notary.

You cannot sign and date this Affidavit unless you are in front of a notary of other official with the capacity to witness signatures.

You will need to use this Affidavit within 6 months.

What Documents You Need If You’re Divorced

If you are divorced you will need the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Divorce Certificate
  • Affidavit of Single Status

Divorce Certificate

You will not need the original divorce certificate in Cuba, but you will need to get a true certified copy.

Marriages and divorces are administered by the county and state, so you will have to contact either the county clerk’s office where the divorce took place, or the state’s department responsible for vital statistics (see below). Both should be able to produce the divorce certificate.

Affidavit of Identity (if Name Changed)

You will need an Affidavit of Identity as well if you have changed your name and it is different from your name on any of the above documents. Your Affidavit of Identity must not be more than 6 months old in order for it to be any good.

Documents You Need If You’re Widowed

If you are a widower you will need:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Death Certificate
  • Affidavit of Single Status

Death Certificate

You will not need to take the original to Cuba, but you will need to get a certified true copy of your deceased spouse’s death certificate.

If you do not have your deceased spouse’s death certificate, you will have to get it from the appropriate vital statistics office (see below) – from the county or state where they died.

Contact State Vital Statistics Offices

The office where you get your certificate from is the same office as where you need to get your certified true copy.

Please see our list of state Vital Statistics offices

Get Married in Cuba

Ensure your Cuban marriage is legal and valid.

We take the headaches out of this complicated process and make sure you start and finish in the right place – Standing happily beside your new bride or groom in Cuba, as the two of you get married.

Ask your question here

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)


    Your Message